Sunday 29 June
Meet 1pm at the Boathouse, Chertsey
The parents of Zane Gbangboa, 7 years old, who died during the February flooding are disputing claims that land behind their home is not contaminated.
Zane died after floodwater filled the family home in Thameside, Chertsey.
Since his death, Zane’s parents, Kye Gbangbola and Nicole Lawler, who were also hospitalised at the time, have been campaigning to find the real cause of their son’s death.
The pair bought the house in 2004, when an environmental report showed no land contamination. However, subsequent reports for a neighbouring property in 2011, and for their own home, indicate contamination due to an old landfill site behind their home, now an infilled lake.
Surrey County Council has consistently denied any former landfill exists close to the family home.
Kye said: “We really want to push and find answers because it is wrong that these risks can occur. Ideally this is something we would like to be able to highlight nationally.”
Along with their neighbours and supporters They have set up a website Called ‘ Truth About Zane ’.
They have been left frustrated at the lack of answers from police and from the council and believe something is being hidden.
At a recent packed community meeting 800 local residents heard Zane's parents make a passionate plea for answers.
Zane's mum, Nicole said they have been left ‘broken’ by the death of their son. She also confirmed that at the time, they were all found to have hydrogen cyanide in their blood and that it had been discovered in the home – although a second coroners report states Carbon Monoxide poisoning as the cause of death, alledgedly from a generator hired by the family to pump floodwater from their home.
Save Our Services in Surrey supports the family's demand for a public enquiry.